October 31, 2011

Luminizing Lotions - A Trick of the Trade & Treat for the Face!

Although Halloween has come and gone, it's never too late for a little trick-and-treating of the beauty kind.  So, I thought that I would provide my readers with a beauty trick of mine that I personally think of as a pretty awesome treat!  :)  When I first heard about illuminizing lotions, I was definitely intrigued to find out what they were all about.  I mean, realistically, the name alone should tell me ALL that I needed to know.  However, my first experience using one of these lotions was an EPIC FAIL!  I remember taking the cap off, squirting a pretty sizeable amount into the palm of my hand and rubbing the "lotion" onto my face....BIG mistake!  To my horror, I looked like a Glo-worm.  I was literally luminescent and glowing but not in a good way!  lol  And because I used such a large amount, it took about 2-3 washes for my skin to look like normal again. I had thoughts of returning the product to the store but decided not to and it sat in my bathroom for a week or two before my "A-Ha" moment!

One day while getting ready for a night-on-the-town, I came across this luminizing lotion again and decided that I would give it another try.  Only this time, I decided that a) I would use a much MUCH smaller amount and b) I would try mixing it in with my tinted moisturizer. Ooh La La.....Magnifique!  The combination of my tinted moisturizer and the luminizing lotion helped to even out and brighten my skin, while giving me that J-Lo glow (which i'm sure all of you ladies are familiar with).   I was hooked and have incorporated this technique into my beauty routine and especially when I need an added boost for lackluster skin!


I currently use Revlon Age Defying Spa Face Illuminator in Gold Light.  Not only is this product reasonable, retailing for $13.99, but it works just as good as any of the illuminators that the higher-end brands have to offer.  Equipped with a brush applicator, this product comes in 3 shades:  Pink Light, Gold Light and Bronze Light and is formulated with an SPF 18.  In addition, it is oil-free so it won't clog your pores or cause breakouts (which is always a plus)!  I am usually able to find and purchase this illuminator at Walgreens but I must say that sometimes it can be hard to find.  I truly hope that Revlon is not thinking of discontinuing this product....I would be heartbroken!

Here are some other illuminators that I have used and come highly recommended by yours truly:

Artificial Light Luminizing Lotion by Smashbox


The gorgeous shimmer of this luminizing lotion softens the way light reflects off of the skin to add radiance and help hide wrinkles and imperfections.  Caution:  Use a very tiny amount of this product or you may experience the Glo-worm effect that I spoke about!  This Smashbox Luminizing Lotion is available in Diffuse ( luminous pearl), Glow (luminous bronze) and Flash (luminous peach). (Retails for $26; http://www.smashbox.com/)


Illuminator by Nars


This light-reflecting liquid glides on to refresh and enhance the complexion, creating a shimmering incandescence. Wear it alone, or pair it with makeup to transform your skin from ordinary to extraordinary. The Nars Illuminator is available in Copacabana (glistening pearl), Laguna (brown w/ golden shimmer), Orgasm (peachy pink w/shimmer) and Super Orgasm (peachy pink w/gold glitter). (Retails for $29, http://www.narscosmetics.com/)


In addition to using these illuminators on your face, don't forget that they can also be used on your shoulders, neck & decolletage for a sexy, chic look and added glow!

XOXO

~Tiaja

No comments:

Post a Comment