December 14, 2011

Violent Lips: Hot Trend or Bad Fad?


Recently, I have come across pictures of celebs wearing what appears to be the latest craze....Violent Lips!  One picture, in particular, was of Keyshia Cole wearing the leopard print appliques (similar to the ones in the photo above) during a recent television interview.  And for the life of me, I could not make a decision as to whether or not I liked the look or not.  I was however, intrigued and being the beauty addict that I am, I HAD to check it out!

You are probably wondering what the heck are Violent Lips? Described as "the ultimate form of self-expression", Violent Lips is a line of temporary lip appliques offering a pretty wide variety of patterns ranging from animal prints to black/ white checks to a 'Glitterati' sparkle and are supposed to last up to 8 hours!   These vitamin-enhanced temporary lip tattoos are FDA approved, made in America and as stated on their website, 'tested on supermodels, not animals'. 

Interested, yet?  Well, I was! lol  I was more curious in finding out how they worked & how they would look on me.  So, I headed down to Sephora (where else) and grabbed a pack of the Red Glitterati which were on sale for $8 (original retail is $16) and headed home to bling out my lips! After reading the directions, I realized that these appliques work just like the temporary tattoos found in your Cracker Jacks box when you were a kid!  lol  And while it sounds fairly easy, I would say the tricky part is the placement and making sure that you get the right measurement (horizontal & vertical) for your lips!

After successfully applying the appliques to my lips, I have to say that I was not that impressed!  While they looked decent from afar, they were pretty disastrous up close.  Perhaps I didn't apply them properly but whatever the case may be, I did not find these to be practical in any way, shape or form.  Everytime I closed my mouth, the appliques would lift at the corners and they did not lay flat on my lips.  In short, the celeb photos looked WAY better than mine (see below)! And, I can't for the life of me begin to understand how Keyshia made it through an entire interview wearing these.  I give here major props!  lol  However, I will say that they were fairly easy to remove.  After rubbing my lips with an oil-based makeup remover, the appliques began to break down and peel off fairly quickly.

Kardashian/ Jenner sisters wearing Violent Lips
photo courtesy of bellasugar

My final thoughts....In theory, the temporary lip tattoos are a great and fun concept.  Would I wear them for a photo shoot...Yes!  Would I wear them for a night on the town, date or just because....NO WAY! Granted I may give them another try since it comes with 3 in a pack and just maybe I will get better results.  But at the end of the day, you know what they say about first impressions....

XOXO

~Tiaja

No comments:

Post a Comment