December 6, 2011

Holiday Make-up Trend: Be Bold In Gold!

As I peruse through my magazines, I noticed a definite trend for this upcoming holiday season.  It appears that contrary to popular belief....all that glitters is GOLD!  From the runways of Fashion Week to Celebs on the red carpert, everyone is gleaming in gold makeup (and nails).  And surprisingly, it looks REALLY good!  I think I mentioned in one of my previous blogs, that I am pretty conservative when it comes to my make-up.  It's my belief that less is more!  Make-up is like an accessory...it should enhance your look and natural beauty, not take away from it.  With that said, you could probably imagine my inital adversion to this new trend.  I mean you could either nail this look or get it really really wrong, right?  However you choose to incorporate this trend into your make-up routine, the bottomline is Have Fun (and try not to go overboard)!!

You, too, can be bold in gold with the following products:

Eyeliner:

Not only does gold eyeliner look nice and festive, it can make tired eyes POP!  By lining the inside corners of your eyes, the metallic shade will provide a more wide-open look as well as brightening up the skin.  I would suggest trying Urban Decay's 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Eldorado.  This pencil goes on really smooth, is highly pigmented and lasts a long time (see my previous blog post).  If Eldorado is too bright for you, maybe try a more antique gold like NARs Larger Than Life Long-Wear Eyeliner in Campo de'Fiori

Nars Campo de'Fiori (left) & U/D Eldorado (right)

Eyeshadow:

I've always been a fan of gold eyeshadows and the pinky-gold shades are my absolute faves! Being the make-up conservative that I am, I generally apply the gold shadow to my lid and blend with a brown or bronze shade in my crease.  I know I should play with color more and that is on my "to-do" list for 2012. :) So, don't limit yourself!  Gold shadows can be mixed with a variety of shades ranging from navy blue, maroon and army green...it really depends on your comfort level.  So, just get in your make-up bag & PLAY!  :)  And while you're at it, check out these shadows: Half Baked by Urban Decay is packed with pigment and this true shade of gold offers lots of shine. Others to try are All That Glitters and Amber Lights by MAC Cosmetics!

All That Glitters by MAC (left), Half Baked  by U/D (mid), Amber Lights by MAC (right)

Nail Polish:

Looking for the Midas Touch? Try applying a gold polish to bare nails for a subtle jeweled effect or over your favorite nail color for an added sparkle.  Who needs jewelry when you're rockin' gold nails! ;) I really like Glitzerland by OPI w/ an accent nail in Bring On The Bling also by OPI (shown below).  Or you may also try Boom Boom Pow by Deborah Lippmann. This glamourous & glittery shade contains 24K Gold Dust!  

Glizterland w/ one nail accented in Bring On The Bling by OPI



Go forth and be B-O-L-D!

XOXO

~Tiaja

No comments:

Post a Comment